My parents

When i was about 11 - 12 years old, my parents got divorced. Though 'divorce' is a dreadful word, i must thank my parents for not making their divorce very messy. What i mean is, both of them were very honest to me and my brothers form the very beginning. They told us the reason behind it, and they made it clear that no matter what, they still love us. Of course at that time i felt clueless, helpless and my world was falling apart, but at that moment i grew up.

Not long after, my father remarried. Again, i thought that i would have an evil stepmother just like snow white and Cinderella, but i was wrong. My stepmom, whom i now call 'mummy', is not like the stepmom like you watch on tv or read in fairy tales. Of course, it took me... both of us i think, some time to really accept each other, but now, we have a wonderful relationship. We are able to do things together and she has always introduced me as her daughter and not step daughter. My relationship and my brothers' relationship with my dad too is still very close, and this i have our magnificent mother to thank.

My mother is the most wonderful human being. Ever since the divorce, she has never said bad things about our dad and she has always reminded us that our dad loves us very much and we should always respect him and love him. Hatred and vengeance were not in our menu. My mom made sure of that. My mom is still a single mother and she has no plan to remarry. She said her life is now complete with the presence of her grandchildren. My parents, though divorce, share a wonderful friendship. Even my mom and my stepmom can actually talk to each other whenever they meet in events like birthdays or weddings. All three of us actually went shopping together for my wedding 11 years ago. My dad has never run from responsiblity even though he has four other children with my step mom. In short, though i come from what people labelled as a 'broken family', my family is not broken at all. Instead, i couldn't have asked for a better one.

What i'm trying to say here is, even if you feel that your family or your parents are not the best people in the world, they are still your family and you are a part of them. To parents who are divorced, do not instill the feeling of hatred and vengeance in them. Do not let them feel like they are the victims. They should be loved and cared for. Always, always communicate with your children and don't just be their parents, but be their friends too. I'm very thankful and grateful that i'm loved by my parents even though they are divorced. My parents taught us the importance of communication and being honest. I thank my parents for never lying to us and for always listening to us. They are our parents and our close friends too.

For those who come from a so called 'broken family', do not use that as a reason for you to
indulge yourselves in negative social activities by giving excuses like 'tension' and 'i hate my parents'. You are what you want to be. If you choose to be in the dark side, so you will be. Choose to be smart and your life will be blessed, insyaAllah.

Comments

ummi said…
yupsss..
agree with u.. i really understand what u have been through cos I've been through all that too.. i think we have similar background just that,
me in my own ways where in the past i 'm not that close to my parents since the break-up...bt being far away from them makes the relationship closer..
ceh..pnjang lak comment sy ek...

Popular posts from this blog

January '09

New year