Count our blessings

I've just come back from Bandung, Indonesia last week. It was not my first trip there. I enjoy going there as shopping is totally óut of rhis world'. Anyway, what i want to share with all of you is not about the world of shopping, it's more than that. I remember the first time I went to bandung about 3 years ago, i was very surprised to see a lot of small children begging on the streets. My last trip was no different. I was walking down Jalan Riau, where all the factory outlets are situated, when a small boy carrying a few 'batu lesung'on his shoulders came begging to me to buy his 'batu lesung' because he was hungry and had no money to eat. Now...what am I supposed to do with a 'batu lesung' and how am i going to carry it back to KL? Later, as i was buying some toys sold by the road side, came this cute, small little skinny girl begging for money. I think she must be not more than 5 years old. 'Kesian bu...'she said to me. The first thing that came out of my mouth was...'kenapa macam ni?'

I was really taken by the sight of the girl. She was very small and skinny, and later as i was in the car, I saw her brother (i assumed) carrying her and i think he must be at least 9 or 10 years old. I refrained myself from shedding any tear. I couldn't help but to think of my own children. How lucky and fortunate they are to have almost everything that their little hearts desire. I wish i had brought my camera so that i could take the children's picture and show it to my children so they would realize how blessed they are.

We, Malaysians, are always complaining of every single little thing. Yet, we forget that we are very fortunate to have lived in this country where our children are not out begging on the streets. We have more than enough to eat. We are able to send our children to school, and for those who can't afford to, there are always individuals, organizations and even tv stations that would come to the rescue. People always like to compare themselves to others who are better off than them, that they sometimes forget there are many out there who are less fortunate than us. We should always count our blessings. Always be grateful with what we have and never forget to pray to Allah so that He would bless us always.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Andria, I am Ahmed from Tanzania.. I ran into your blog accidentally but I have really liked this article.
We should really count our blessings that's 1 of the most important things am planning to teach my 8 month old daughter when she's the right age.

Popular posts from this blog

January '09

New year